Donald Trump admits he has no invite to royal wedding ‘that I know of’

He was also confronted with comments made by Meghan Markle in 2016 that he was 'divisive' and 'misogynistic'

Ashley Cowburn
Political Correspondent
Sunday 28 January 2018 01:07
Comments
Donald Trump admits he hasn't received an invite to the Royal wedding

Donald Trump has said he is not aware of any invite to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal wedding later this year.

In an interview due to be aired on Sunday with ITV’s Good Morning Britain, the US President was also confronted with comments about him being “divisive" and "misogynistic” by Ms Markle in 2016.

“Well, I still hope they’re happy," he replied.

Donald Trump apologises for anti-Muslim video retweets

Asked by presenter Piers Morgan whether he had an invited to the royal wedding, he added: “Not that I know of...I want them to be happy. I really want them to be happy. They look like a lovely couple.”

In late 2017 it was claimed that the Government was concerned Mr Trump may feel snubbed if Barack Obama was invited to the wedding in spring.

But Prince Harry – appearing as the guest editor on Radio 4’s Today programme in December – said he and Meghan Markle were yet to workout their wedding guest-list.

Asked whether the ex-Democrat president Mr Obama, who is close to Prince Harry following their collaboration at the Invictus Games, would be invited to the wedding, he said: “I don’t know about that. We haven’t put the invites or the guestlist together yet.

“So who knows whether he’s going to be invited or not? I wouldn’t want to ruin that surprise.”

It came after the Sun newspaper – quoting a “senior Government source” – said the royal had “made clear” his desire to invite Barack and Michelle Obama to his wedding later this year.

But the source added: “Trump could react very badly if the Obamas get to a royal wedding before he has had a chance to meet the Queen.”

After a meeting with Theresa May in Davos last week, Mr Trump is now expected to come to Britain on his first official meeting “later this year”.

A senior government source said the visit is likely to take place in the second half of 2018 but were yet to confirm whether it would be a state visit – an offer extended to the President just days after he was inaugurated in January 2017.

“The PM and the President agreed that they’ll get their people and our people to talk about the plans and there wasn’t any discussion beyond that,” they added.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in