A teenager who was stabbed in a Sussex village has died days after the incident as police have arrested a 16-year-old boy on suspicion of murder.
The 17-year-old boy was fighting for his life in hospital after being seriously assaulted at an address in Warnham, West Sussex, in the early hours of Sunday, July 23 and died on Tuesday, July 25.
Two 16-year-old boys were first arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, and one has now been re-arrested on suspicion of murder, while the other is being treated as a witness and will face no further action.
A 16-year-old girl and a 52-year-old woman have also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.
Police officers previously said the incident, on Marches Road, was believed to be an “isolated incident”, which does not pose a threat to the wider community.
Detective chief inspector Kimball Edey, who is leading the investigation from Surrey and Sussex’s major crime team, said: “Our thoughts are with the victim’s family and friends at this incredibly difficult time.
“We know that there were a number of young people in attendance at an event, and are keen to speak to them.
“Further arrests have been made in this case, and we ask the public not to speculate about the incident on social media as it may jeopardise the ongoing investigation.”
Anyone with information should report it to Sussex Police via the Major Incident Public Portal here or call 01273 470101 and quote “Operation Ketley.”
People can also provide information anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.