Man who cemented head inside microwave says YouTube pranksters like him 'should be fined'

‘Just like the people who get into drunken fights and use the emergency services’ time’

Molly Fleming
Sunday 10 December 2017 17:09
comments
Jimmy Swingler with his head stuck in a microwave as firefighters attempt to remove it
Jimmy Swingler with his head stuck in a microwave as firefighters attempt to remove it

The YouTube prankster who cemented his head in a microwave says he “doesn’t care” about the waves of criticism he’s received since going viral but that he should be fined for wasting firefighters’ time.

Jay Swingler, 22, called emergency services on Wednesday after he filled a microwave with seven bags of Polyfilla while his head was inside.

It took firefighters over an hour to carefully cut him out of the hardened plaster, during which time Mr Swingler survived by breathing through a tube.

“I won’t even say I am defending myself because I don’t care I think this shit is hilarious,” the YouTuber said in a video posted to his channel on Friday.

He was also pleased that his story was covered so widely and said: “That’s how you know you’ve done something right on YouTube.”

Mr Swingler did reveal that he was never planning to let the Polyfilla completely set and intended to “slide” his head out of the microwave.

YouTuber has to be freed by fire service after cementing a microwave to head head for a prank

However, while trying to produce more video content he decided “ten more minutes won’t hurt” but in that time the mixture hardened.

Mr Swingler said he “didn’t mean to piss off” the fire and paramedic services. “Thank you, I appreciate every effort you went to but I bet it was a fun day at work though.”

He also offered to pay the emergency services a fee. “I should be fined just like the people who get into drunken fights and use the emergency services’ time,” he said.

He added: “I am happy to donate the money to the people who helped me that day.”

However, West Midlands Fire Service told The Independent: “He will not be fined as it was the ambulance service who called us and he was genuinely in need.”

Simon Woodward, station commander said: “The service charge for that would be £650. We are not going to charge because his life was in danger.”

The original video has received almost three million views but many have condemned Mr Swingler for wasting emergency services time – including his rescuers.

West Midlands Fire Service tweeted it was “seriously unimpressed” with the stunt, and Mr Woodward added: “I want to remind people not to put yourself at risk for the sake of other people’s entertainment.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments