Mortuary workers in Kenya were shocked when a man woke up the day after he was declared dead.
Authorities have since launched an investigation into how Paul Mutora was mistakenly put into the morgue at Naivasha District Hospital, north-west of the capital Nairobi.
Mortuary workers ran away when the body moved and began breathing, it was reported.
Mr Mutora had attempted to take his life by ingesting insecticide and was pronounced dead on Wednesday night.
The doctor in charge of Mr Mutora’s reawakening said that it is suspected that the drug slowed his heartbeat, which may have led to him being mistaken as dead.
“This might have confused medical personnel, but the victim was saved before he could be embalmed,” Dr Joseph Mburu, the superintendent in charge of Naivasha District Hospital told the Kenyan Standard.
The newspaper also reported that Mr Mutora’s funeral arrangements had begun after his relatives visited the morgue on Tuesday morning to view his body.
“But in the afternoon we were informed, he was alive and were left in shock,” his father said.
A witness told the Kenyan Star newspaper that when employees heard noises inside the cold room they “took to their heels screaming”.
“This was a mistake from the start and I apologise to my father,” Mr Mutora said.
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies