French airstrike killed Mali civilians, claim officials

UN investigating whether France killed civilians in Mali bombing earlier this year

Rory Sullivan
Friday 26 March 2021 14:46
Comments
A French military base is pictured in Menaka, eastern Mali, on 3 November, 2020.
A French military base is pictured in Menaka, eastern Mali, on 3 November, 2020.

The French army killed six civilians in an airstrike in north-east Mali on Thursday, local officials have claimed.

This is the second time this year that France has been blamed for killing non-combatants in Operation Barkhane, its fight against Islamist militants in Africa’s Sahel region.

The anti-insurgency operation said the most recent incident, which occurred 37 miles north or In Deliman in the Gao region, had “neutralised” a group of terrorists.

“This strike was ordered after a phase of surveillance and identification permitting the characterisation of the presence of an armed terrorist group,” it added in a statement.

However, local officials contested this version of events, saying that six young men between the ages of 15 and 20 had been killed while out hunting birds.

Mohamed Assaleh Ahmad, the mayor of the nearby village of Talataye, said the victims, some of whom were from his family, were wrongly killed.

Read more:

“We have seen these airstrikes in the past here. We have never said anything, but this time, it is 100 per cent an error,” he told Reuters.

Former Malian politician Souleymane Ag Almahmoud also suggested that civilians had been targeted.

The accusation comes amid growing scrutiny over France’s actions in Mali, with the UN investigating an earlier airstrike made near the village of Bounti on 3 January.

The French military denies any wrongdoing and says two of its Mirage 2000 fighter jets dropped three bombs on a group of 40 armed Islamist fighters, 30 of whom died. 

But locals said the victims were not insurgents but were guests at a wedding, according to testimony gathered by Human Rights Watch.

Medecins Sans Frontieres, an international health charity, backed up this allegation, attesting that most of the eight men they treated after the bombing were elderly.

Across the border in neighbouring Niger, gunmen are thought to have killed 137 people last Sunday in one of the bloodiest episodes seen in the unstable region.

French president Emmanuel Macron said his country would not reduce troop numbers in the Sahel in the short-term, seven years after Operation Barkhane started.

Additional reporting by Reuters

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in