Ten-year-old boy dies in bed after mum mistook carbon monoxide poisoning for the flu

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the victim's family

Lydia Smith
Sunday 03 September 2017 15:50
Comments
Ten-year-old Gavin Klebs died from carbon monoxide poisoning
Ten-year-old Gavin Klebs died from carbon monoxide poisoning

A 10-year-old boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being sent to bed with flu-like symptoms while on holiday.

Gavin Klebs was staying in a cabin with his mother and sister near Big Lake, Alaska, when he began vomiting.

His mother, Sarah Klebs, believed he had the flu virus, as his sister Caroline had already complained of headaches.

The family went to bed, believing they had caught a bug. The next day, the three were found unresponsive in the cabin from carbon monoxide, which has no smell or taste.

Ms Klebs and her daughter were found in bed and taken to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center on 20 August, before being flown to Seattle for hyperbaric chamber oxygen treatment.

Gavin did not survive.

Investigators found a faulty propane-powered fridge had leaked carbon monoxide into the home as the three slept.

The family had not yet installed a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin but said they planned to do so in winter.

Ms Klebs said she believed her son and daughter had caught the flu and did not realise they were being poisoned.

“Prior to this, I never would have thought about it,” she told Alaska Dispatch News.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause dizziness, nausea, tiredness and confusion, as well as loss of consciousness and seizures.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for the Klebs family.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in