Billy Bush rubbishes Donald Trump's denial of infamous Access Hollywood tape: 'Of course he said it'

'President Trump is currently indulging in some revisionist history, reportedly telling allies that the voice on the tape is not his. This has hit a raw nerve in me'

Monday 04 December 2017 07:26 GMT
Comments
Donald Trump caught on tape talking about sexually assaulting women: "Grab 'em by the pussy"

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

Former NBC television host Billy Bush accused US President Donald Trump of “indulging in some revisionist history” for reportedly telling allies it was not his voice making lewd remarks as the men waited to film a segment for Access Hollywood in 2005.

“He said it. ‘Grab ’em by the pussy,'” Bush wrote in an editorial published in The New York Times on Sunday.

The New York Times reported last month that Trump has been privately telling aides and allies, including at least one US senator, that the voice on the recording was not his.

That would be a reversal from his immediate acknowledgement of responsibility after the tape surfaced weeks ahead of the 2016 presidential election. Trump said: “I said it, I was wrong, and I apologise.”

Reuters has not been able to verify the Times report that he has been privately telling allies a different story.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Bush’s remarks. But White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders played down the Times report at a White House briefing on 27 November.

“The President hasn’t changed his position. I think if anything that the President questions, it’s the media’s reporting on that accuracy,” Sanders said.

Bush laughed on the video as Trump spoke and he lost his job as a host of NBC’s flagship morning Today show after the tape was leaked to the media in October, upending Trump’s campaign to become President.

Reuters

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in