Donald Trump sells Qatar $12bn of weapons days after accusing it of funding terrorism

Qatar is currently isolated within the region by neighbours which accuse it of sponsoring terrorism

Lucy Pasha-Robinson
Thursday 15 June 2017 10:04
Comments
President Trump says Qatar is a major funder of terrorism

The US has sold Qatar $12bn (£9.4bn)-worth of fighter jets just days after President Donald Trump accused the country of being a “high-level” sponsor of terrorism.

The deal was signed off by the US Defence Ministry and reportedly included 36 F-15 combat aircraft.

US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis and Qatari Minister of State for Defence Affairs Khalid al-Attiyah met on Wednesday to seal the agreement, according to one source familiar with the deal.

“Qatar and the United States have solidified their military cooperation by having fought together side by side for many years now in an effort to eradicate terrorism and promote a future of dignity and prosperity,” Mr al-Attiyah said in a statement.

The Pentagon claimed the sale would increase security cooperation between the US and Qatar.

Mr Mattis and Mr al-Attiyah discussed the current state of operations against Isis and the importance of de-escalating tensions so all partners in the Gulf region can focus on next steps in meeting common goals, the Pentagon added in a statement following the deal.

In November, the US approved the possible sale of up to 72 F-15QA aircraft to Qatar for $21.1bn (£16.5bn), but it was unclear whether this was the same transaction.

Boeing Co is the prime contractor on the fighter jet sale to the Middle East nation, but declined to comment.

It comes after Mr Trump accused Qatar of being a “high-level” sponsor of terrorism on Friday, potentially hindering the US Department of State's efforts to ease heightening tensions and a blockade of the Gulf nation by Arab states and others.

Qatar remains the home of some 10,000 American troops at a major US military base. So far, the dispute between Doha and nations led by Saudi Arabia has yet to shake that partnership, though cracks are showing in responses from Mr Trump and his administration.

Mr Trump's accusations that Qatar is involved in the funding of terrorist groups was one of the main allegations made by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain when they initially cut diplomatic ties on 5 June.

Additional reporting by agencies

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in