George Zimmerman removed from Tinder and Bumble

He made a profile under the alias 'Carter'

Chelsea Ritschel
New York
Friday 19 April 2019 22:01
comments
George Zimmerman removed from Tinder
George Zimmerman removed from Tinder

Tinder has removed a profile created by George Zimmerman from its platform, after the dating app identified him as using a fake name.

Zimmerman, who killed unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in 2012, was using the dating app under the name “Carter” according to screenshots of the profile captured by Creative Loafing Tampa Bay.

On the profile, Zimmerman, 35, who was found not guilty of second-degree murder in 2013 to international outrage, described himself as a self-employed consultant and said he was looking for “carefree fun!”

“I love the outdoors, fishing, camping and hiking,” the profile reads. “I love adventure, not into huge crowds. I’m also down for a quiet night with Longhorn take out.”

In a statement to CNN, a Tinder spokesperson confirmed the profile had been removed: “We take the safety of our users very seriously and acted appropriately once the profile was discovered.”

Zimmerman was previously banned from Bumble in December, where he’d written in his profile that he was searching for a “mature and fun woman that’s ready to be loved and respected the way she deserves and is able to reciprocate”.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

At the time, a Bumble spokesperson told the Orlando Sentinel: “George Zimmerman was blocked and banned in December 2018 when we first discovered his profile and we have blocked and banned him again after we were informed by our users that he had created a new unverified profile.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments