Harvey Weinstein still owes Malia Obama money for internship

Teenager worked for the disgraced producer's company last year, before allegations against him emerged 

Maya Oppenheim
Friday 23 March 2018 14:12
Comments
Harvey Weinstein's former assistant explains what working for him was like

Malia Obama is still owed money by disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein’s film company, according to a list created by the firm as part of its bankruptcy filings.

Former US President Barack Obama’s eldest daughter worked as an intern for the Weinstein Company last year.

She was one of number of high profile names on the list, including Robert De Niro, David Bowie, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Bay, Daniel Radcliffe, Seth Rogen, Heidi Klum and Ryan Coogler.

Regular Weinstein collaborators Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith were also named.

The amount they are owed is unclear although the company’s bankruptcy filings list between $500m (£354m) and $1bn in liabilities and the same range for assets, according to the documents first reported by The Blast website.

Malia, now 19, interned for the scandal-ridden company before allegations against Weinstein emerged.

Her parents voiced their “disgust” after becoming aware of the sexual harassment and assault claims involving Weinstein.

“Michelle and I have been disgusted by the recent reports about Harvey Weinstein,” Mr Obama said. “Any man who demeans and degrades women in such fashion needs to be condemned and held accountable, regardless of wealth or status.

“We should celebrate the courage of women who have come forward to tell these painful stories. And we all need to build a culture – including by empowering our girls and teaching our boys decency and respect – so we can make such behaviour less prevalent in the future.”

After leaving Sidwell Friends School in Washington DC, Malia took a gap year before starting her studies at America’s prestigious Harvard University.

She also worked as an intern at the US embassy in Madrid and spent three months in Bolivia and Peru.

More than 60 women have come forward to accuse Weinstein of sexual misconduct since The New York Times and The New Yorker alleged decades of alleged sexual harassment and assault last October.

The movie mogul, who produced Oscar-winning films Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, and The Artist, denies the allegations.

Weinstein, who was expelled from the Oscars and sacked from the Weinstein Company, has previously “unequivocally” denied all accusations of non-consensual sex.

“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr Weinstein. Mr Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances,“ his spokesperson said in a statement to The Independent.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in