Hoverboard birthday gift 'destroys' Louisiana home

The $300 birthday present 'could have killed' the boy it was bought for

Jess Staufenberg
Tuesday 01 December 2015 16:18 GMT
Comments
There have now been at least several instances of hoverboards catching fire or exploding in the UK and US
There have now been at least several instances of hoverboards catching fire or exploding in the UK and US (Rex Features)

A family home was badly damaged when a so-called 'hoverboard' bought as a gift suddenly exploded.

The home in Louisiana was significantly burnt when the electric toy caught fire while charging - and its young owner could have been killed.

The charred remains of the hoverboard bought for about $300
The charred remains of the hoverboard bought for about $300 (YouTube, WGNO)

Now Jessica Horne, the mother of the boy for whom the toy was a present, has set up a funding page to try to repair the damage.

Her plea for help has raised $2,605 (£1,726) so far.

Jessica Horne said her son was "thrilled" when she presented him with a self-balancing scooter bought from Amazon.

"When it ran out of charge, he brought it inside and put it on the charger.

"As I walked past his room, I saw it began to shoot sparks and within seconds it was in flames; within minutes the entire room was in flames," she said on her funding page.

The toy, which was purchased through Amazon, reportedly caught fire while charging
The toy, which was purchased through Amazon, reportedly caught fire while charging (YouTube, WGNO)

"Christmas is just around the corner. We lost our home to this horrific incident."

She has set a target amount on GoFundMe.org of $8,000 to try to repair the damage after discovering that their rented home was not insured.

Her son, 12-year-old Hayden, said in interview with WGNO that he could not believe it when his $300 birthday present caught flames.

A shipping order shows the board came from a company called Fit Turbo through Amazon, WGNO reported.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was the first hoverboard incident related to fire. But a man in Florida recently filmed his hoverboard in flames.

Timothy Cade, who also bought his toy through Amazon, told WKRG that other people should be warned.

"If that was a kid to have that happen - or imagine if that was in your house?" he said.

Another hoverboard burned down a house in Kent this month.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in