Woman loses gall bladder and parts of her stomach after drinking liquid nitrogen, lawsuit claims

Doctors had to 'scrape away' dead tissue after Florida diner drank from tainted glass

Alex Woodward
New York
Tuesday 15 October 2019 08:47 BST
Comments
A cocktail is prepared using liquid nitrogen
A cocktail is prepared using liquid nitrogen (Rex images)

Doctors removed a woman's gall bladder and parts of her stomach after she drank from a glass containing liquid nitrogen, according to a lawsuit filed in Florida.

At a birthday dinner at the Maritina Grille at the Don CeSar Hotel on 11 November 2018, a waiter poured liquid nitrogen into Stacey Wagers' water glass, according to the lawsuit.

He had just used the chemical to create a smoke effect on a nearby diner's dessert, the lawsuit alleges.

Ms Wagers, from Florida, was "completely unaware of the danger" of liquid nitrogen and became ill "within seconds" after drinking from her glass, according to the lawsuit.

She was taken to a nearby hospital, and doctors had to "scrape away the dead portions of tissue that was in her stomach from being frozen", attorneys representing Ms Wagers said in a statement.

Ms Wagers' attorney Adam Brum told Newsweek that she also lost 25 pounds and will have "lifelong digestion issues" as a result of her injuries.

The lawsuit seeks $15,000 from the hotel for her injuries, medical expenses and loss of wages.

Last year, the US Food and Drug Administration warned people of potentially "life-threatening" effects from eating, drinking or handling food products prepared with liquid nitrogen, which if ingested can cause severe damage to a person's skin and internal organs.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in