Miss Texas doesn't hold back when judge asks her about Trump's Charlottesville response

Margana Wood said the attack was terrorism and the President should have said so earlier to make 'sure all Americans feel safe in this country'

Caroline Mortimer
Monday 11 September 2017 18:18 BST
Comments
Miss Texas criticises Donald Trump for Charlottesville response in Miss America contest

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

A beauty pageant contest has won praise for her speech criticising Donald Trump for not condemning the Charlottesville attack as a terrorism.

Margana Wood, 22, was competing in the Miss America 2018 pageant when a judge asked her about Mr Trump’s statement in hours after James Fields allegedly drove his car into a crowd of anti-fascist protesters at a far right rally in Virginia last month – killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer.

The President was widely condemned for his response where he blamed violence “from many sides” and refusing to openly condemned the far right who form a key part of his political base.

Pageant judge Jess Cagle asked Ms Woods if Mr Trump was right to say there were more than one group at fault.

But Ms Wood did not waste a second condemning the Republican for not condemning white supremacism.

She said: “I think that the white supremacist issue, it was very obvious, that it was a terrorist attack.

“I think Donald Trump should have made a statement earlier addressing that fact and making sure all Americans feel safe in this country. And that is the number one issue right now.”

The comment won her huge cheers from the audience but it was not enough to win the competition – she eventually came 5th overall.

The Miss America competition, now in its 96th year, is not the same as the Miss USA pageant which was formerly owned by Mr Trump.

In days following Mr Trump’s comments, his approval ratings reached a new low with just 39 per cent of those polled thinking he was doing a good job in the Oval Office – down five points in just one week.

Several CEOs announced they were quitting their roles on two key business advisory councils in protest at Mr Trump’s comments forcing him to disband them altogether.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in