Arachnophobe sets petrol station on fire after trying to scare off spider

A man caused a fire at a suburban Detroit gas station by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door

Matthew Diebel
Sunday 27 September 2015 12:29
Comments

Couldn't he just have flicked it away?

A man with an apparent case of arachnophobia caused a fire at a suburban Detroit gas station by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door.

After he pulled up, “That's when he pulled the lighter out of his pocket and lit it and started the fire,” station clerk Susan Adams told local media on 26 September.

The man, who was not identified, escaped injury and his vehicle suffered little damage, but the gas pump was destroyed. Adams shut off the pump from indoors and called the fire department.

The motorist can be heard on surveillance video at the Center Line station asking: “Is that a spider in there?” The video then shows flames erupting along the car's side, the pump and the pavement.

“He grabbed the fire extinguisher, because the lady had me on hold, so he grabbed the fire extinguisher and put it out,” Adams told WWJ, a local radio station.

According to Adams, the flames were out by the time the fire department arrived. But, she said, the man was evasive as to what had happened.

“It shocked me because it was like, 'So how did it catch on fire,'” said Adams. “And when I asked him after everything was done I'm like 'Well, I know you wasn't smoking and you wasn't on the phone.' So he's like, 'Well I have static in my car.' So, I took it as that because when you have static you're supposed to get out the car and wipe your hands on your car.”

However, after being questioned by fire investigators though, admitted how the fire started.

“I didn't find out until later that he seen a spider and tried to burn it,” Adams told WWJ. “Which, the spider did get burned but nothing happened to his car.”

She said he apologized the next day, saying he's deathly afraid of spiders.

“He was sorry,” Adams told local TV station WJBK. “He was sorry, he said he didn't know. It is just one of those things that happen - stupidity.”

This article was oringally published by USA Today

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in