US press corps shut out of Donald Trump's Asia trip take their own 'family photo' at APEC summit

Only Fox News was allowed access to the event, where Donald Trump met world leaders including Vladimir Putin

Benjamin Kentish
Saturday 11 November 2017 16:36
Comments
Trump and Putin shake hands at the APEC summit

White House journalists following Donald Trump on his trip to south-east Asia were shut out of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum in Vietnam on Friday and Saturday, stopping reporters from covering his meetings with the likes of Vladimir Putin and preventing photographers taking images of the US President.

In protest, they decided to take a photo of their own. Posted on Twitter by Bloomberg News reporter Jennifer Jacobs, the image showed a number of White House reporters and photographers posing near the Vietnamese coastal city of Da Nang, where the conference is taking place.

The image was captioned “Family photo. – Danang, Vietnam” and showed journalists from ABC News, Reuters, Fox News, the Washington Post, Associated Press, Agence France-Presse and others.

David Nakamura, a Washington Post reporter, commented: “Love this. Traveling U.S. press corps, shut out of APEC coverage, takes matters into its own hands…”

The small group of White House reporters, known as the travel pool, that are covering Mr Trump on his trip to Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam and the Philippines were told they were not allowed to attend key events at the APEC conference, including Mr Trump’s informal meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Instead, they were instructed to stay in a holding room. Only a video crew from Fox News – Mr Trump’s favourite broadcaster - and an official White House photographer were given access to the meetings.

In response, one journalist, New York Times photographer Doug Millis, tweeted a photo of a black rectangle alongside the caption: “This what our APEC Summit photo coverage looks today (sic) in Da Nang Vietnam. Blank. No coverage by the White House Travel Pool photographers traveling with Donald Trump.”

The White House reportedly told journalists it had tried to secure them access to the events but had been unable to do so.

According to Politico, White House official Michelle Meadows wrote in an email to reporters: “We have been negotiating since the pre-advance and have made progress on almost every event for this swing.

“We ALWAYS ask for the full Pool to have access but we do not always get what we want.”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in