Donald Trump's new 'Muslim ban' will have 'same outcome' as old one, says senior White House adviser

The new plans only have 'minor technical differences' to the US leader's original executive order that was thrown out by the courts

Harriet Agerholm
Wednesday 22 February 2017 13:25
Comments
Donald Trump's travel ban prompted widespread confusion and uproar when it was first introduced, and it has since been halted by the courts following several legal challenges
Donald Trump's travel ban prompted widespread confusion and uproar when it was first introduced, and it has since been halted by the courts following several legal challenges

Donald Trump’s revised travel ban would “have the same basic policy outcome” as the initial version, according to a senior White House adviser.

Stephen Miller said the new order would be “responsive to the judicial ruling” that blocked the original order, adding that it would contain “minor technical differences” to the original directive.

“Fundamentally you’re going to have the same basic policy outcome for the country,” he told Fox News.

His comments appear to indicate that the new order would once again bar travel to the US for citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries – Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan and Libya.

The original order prompted widespread confusion and sparked mass protests.

Mr Miller – who played a key role in the initial drafting of it – also insisted that US court rulings which halted the original order were “flawed” and “erroneous” and that Mr Trump's action was “clearly legal and constitutional.”

The Court of Appeal suggested the order be redrafted so it did not risk violating the US constitution, which forbids discrimination on the grounds of religion.

Mr Miller has previously said the President would not back down to the courts on his “extreme vetting” policy.

The new executive order is reportedly expected to make clear that green card holders – immigrants with an indefinite right to live in the US – are exempt from the ban.

"The President is contemplating releasing a tighter, more streamlined version of the first executive order," Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said at the Munich Security Conference at the weekend.

He added that officials are working on a "phase in" period to help avoid confusion at airports seen after Mr Trump's first immigration directive.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in