Trump campaign claims president’s ‘firsthand experience’ with Covid-19 makes him better candidate than Joe Biden

'Firsthand experience is always going to change how someone relates to something that's been happening,' campaign aide says 

Danielle Zoellner
Monday 05 October 2020 22:03
Comments
Trump campaign aide claims president's 'firsthand experience' with Covid makes him a stronger candidate
Leer en Español

The Trump campaign has suggested Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden lacks “firsthand experience” compared to the president because he has yet to contract Covid-19.

This latest spin from Donald Trump’s campaign comes after it was announced he tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday.

Director of Communications Erin Perrine appeared on Fox News Monday morning where she made the claim Mr Biden lacked “firsthand experiences” compared to the president, including the experience of having Covid-19.

"Well, firsthand experience is always going to change how someone relates to something that's been happening," she told Fox News host Sandra Smith when asked if Mr Trump would change his coronavirus messaging following his hospitalisation.

“The president has coronavirus right now. He is battling it head on, as toughly, as only President Trump can. And of course that’s going to change the way that he speaks of it because it will be a firsthand experience.”

Ms Perrine added that the president’s experience as commander-in-chief and a businessman, as well contracting Covid-19, made him a better candidate than Mr Biden.

"He has experience — now — fighting the coronavirus as an individual. Those firsthand experiences, Joe Biden, he doesn't have those," Ms Perrine said.

“Those firsthand experiences are what are going to get President Trump four more years. So of course he talks about it differently now that he has lived through it,” she concluded.

Mr Biden has been tested multiple times in the last week since it was revealed the president tested positive. The pair shared a debate stage last Tuesday at a time when Mr Trump might have already contracted the virus.

The Trump campaign was upended last week after top Trump administration aide Hope Hicks tested positive for Covid-19. On Thursday, it was announced both Mr Trump and First Lady Melania Trump had the virus, forcing the campaign to cancel numerous events.

Since then, the list has only grown of Trump campaign and administration members testing positive from the novel virus. Press secretary Kayleigh McEnany was the latest to announce she had the novel virus on Monday.

Vice President Mike Pence has thus far tested negative for Covid-19, which has encouraged him to continue on the campaign trail even though he was potentially exposed to the virus.

In an effort to boost his campaign, Mr Trump went on a drive near the hospital on Sunday to acknowledge fans and supporters waiting outside Walter Reed National Military Medical Centre – where he has been since Friday.

The campaign spinning the president contracting Covid-19 as a bonus “firsthand experience” could be the latest way they attempt to sway voters to reelect Mr Trump.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in