Kellyanne Conway's husband tweets for first time in two years to criticise Trump

Just hours earlier, the President had said the media was 'obsessed' with his tweets

Andrew Buncombe
New York
Monday 05 June 2017 17:47
Comments
Mr Conway had been in the running for a top government job
Mr Conway had been in the running for a top government job

The husband of a senior aide to Donald Trump has criticised his wife's boss - making his remarks in his first tweet for almost two years.

George Conway, the husband of Kellyanne Conway, said Mr Trump’s tweets regarding his Muslim travel ban and the way a revised version was taken to the Supreme Court, may make some people feel better.

However, he said they would not help the Office of the Solicitor General get get five votes on the Supreme Court.

“These tweets may make some ppl feel better, but they certainly won’t help OSG get 5 votes in SCOTUS, which is what actually matters,” he said, before copying Mr Trump’s catchphrase. “Sad.”

Until last week, Mr Conway had been in contention to head to the Department of Justice’s civil division. He then announced he was placing himself out of the running.

Family of Manchester attack victim pay tribute in London

“I have reluctantly concluded, however, that, for me and my family, this is not the right time for me to leave the private sector and take on a new role in the federal government,” he said in a statement.

“Kellyanne and I continue to support the President and his administration, and I look forward to doing so in whatever way I can from outside the government.”

Mr Conway is a partner at the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz. He was previously under consideration to serve as the Trump administration’s solicitor general, a role that went to Noel Francisco.

His comments came just hours after his wife attacked the media’s “obsession” with covering what Mr Trump said on Twitter.

As Mr Conway was speaking, Mr Trump has published a flurry of tweets, asserting that he did indeed consider his stalled executive order “a travel ban”, and criticising his own officials for trying to have revised version of the order approved by the Supreme Court.

“People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN,” Mr Trump wrote in one of four tweets, which he started posting at 6am.

He added: “In any event we are EXTREME VETTING people coming into the US in order to help keep our country safe. The courts are slow and political!”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in