Trump claims he could be cancelled ‘like Piers’ if he comments on Meghan interview, but says she’s ‘no good’

‘Yeah, she’s no good. I said that and now everybody’s seeing it,’ former president told aide

Danielle Zoellner
New York
@dani__zoellner
Sunday 14 March 2021 15:59
comments

Prince Harry says ‘racism’ was a large reason why he and Meghan Markle left royal duties

Leer en Español

Donald Trump has claimed he could face cancel culture "like Piers" if he were to publicly comment on the Meghan Markle and Prince Harry interview, but added he thought the Duchess of Sussex was "no good".

The revelation came when Mr Trump's senior adviser Jason Miller appeared on the War Room podcast, hosted by former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.

Mr Miller said that the former president told him he could "make a little news" by telling the public his thoughts about the Oprah interview with Meghan and Prince Harry that included several bombshell revelations about life as royals.

"When I was talking to the president this morning ... he's like, 'Yeah, she's no good. I said that and now everybody's seeing it. But you realise if you say anything negative about Meghan Markle you get cancelled. Look at Piers,'" Mr Miller said when recounting the conversation with Mr Trump.

The former president was referring to Piers Morgan, the polarising host of Good Morning Britain who left his post after he said during a segment that he didn't believe a word Meghan said in the Oprah interview, including her struggle with suicidal thoughts.

Read more: Palace ‘appoints outside lawyers’ to probe Meghan Markle bullying claims

Following the admission and a series of complaints to ITV, including a formal one submitted by Meghan, it was announced that Mr Morgan would be departing from the morning show.

In a tweet on Tuesday, Mr Morgan reaffirmed the opinion he shared on Good Morning Britain that resulted in him no longer hosting the morning show. “On Monday, I said I didn’t believe Meghan Markle in her Oprah interview. I’ve had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don’t,” he wrote.

The latest statement from Mr Trump comes after he previously called Meghan “nasty” when asked about comments made by the Duchess of Sussex that referred to him as “misogynistic” and “divisive”.

“No, I didn’t know that she was nasty,” Mr Trump said in 2019, according to The Sun.

Mr Trump later attempted to roll back the quote by claiming it was made up by the “fake news media”.

One reason why the former president has not formerly commented on the Oprah interview with Meghan and Prince Harry could be because his medium-of-choice Twitter was no longer an available form of communication for him to speak to supporters.

Twitter has indicated that the former president is permanently banned from the platform following the deadly riots that took place at the US Capitol on 6 January. At the time, Mr Trump released several tweets that the social media platform said incited violence.

Mr Trump has now turned to press statements released through email to communicate to the public.

Aides to the former president have said they’ve enjoyed Mr Trump’s time away from Twitter, as it gave the formal statements an ability to hold greater weight with the public, according to Politico.

But it could also prevent Mr Trump from making his usual splash in the media, like he previously did every time he tweeted.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments