MH370: Malaysian Prime Minister's full statement on second anniversary of flight's disappearance

'We remain committed to doing everything within our means to solving what is an agonising mystery for the loved ones of those who were lost'

Serina Sandhu
Tuesday 08 March 2016 15:38 GMT
Comments
The Prime Minister delivering a statement about MH370 in August 2015
The Prime Minister delivering a statement about MH370 in August 2015 (MOHD RASFAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

The Malaysian Prime Minister has said the search for flight MH370 "has been the most challenging in aviation history".

Najib Razak made his comments in a statement to mark the second anniversary since the Malaysia Airlines flight 370 disappeared from radar screens on 8 March 2014. It had been travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

It is believed that the aircraft, which had 239 people on board, crashed into the Indian Ocean.

A wing part, the flaperon, washed up onto the French island of Reunion in July 2015. More debris from plane is believed to have been discovered in Mozambique in early March, though this has not yet been confirmed,

Prime Minister Razak said he expected the search operation for MH370 to be completed later this year.

Here is the statement in full:

"Today, we mark the second anniversary of the disappearance of flight MH370. We mourn the loss of the 239 people, including 50 Malaysians, who were on board.

"The discovery of debris on the island of Reunion last July provided further evidence that, as I announced on 24th March 2014, flight MH370 tragically ended in the southern Indian Ocean. But we know that neither the passage of time, nor this evidence, will comfort those whose grief cannot be assuaged.

"The disappearance of MH370 was without precedent, and the search has been the most challenging in aviation history. Amidst some of the world’s most inhospitable terrain – at depths of up to six kilometres, across underwater mountain ranges, and in the world’s fastest currents – the search team have been working tirelessly to find MH370’s resting place. We are grateful for their efforts.

Family members still in the dark over fate of MH370

"The current search operation is expected to be completed later this year, and we remain hopeful that MH370 will be found in the 120,000 square kilometre area under investigation. If it is not, then Malaysia, Australia and China will hold a tripartite meeting to determine the way forward.

"We remain committed to doing everything within our means to solving what is an agonising mystery for the loved ones of those who were lost. On this most difficult of days, our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who will never be forgotten."

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in