Nato airstrike 'kills 14' in Afghanistan

Ap
Sunday 29 May 2011 08:30
Comments

An Afghan official says a Nato airstrike has killed 14 people — all women and children — and wounded six in the volatile southwest Helmand province.

Dawood Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial government, said on Sunday that the strike took place in Nawzad district.

He says Nato was targeting insurgents there late on Saturday but instead struck two civilian homes, killing two women, five girls and seven boys.

According to Ahmadi, the strike followed an insurgent attack on a US Marine base in Nawzad earlier on Saturday.

A Nato spokesman, Maj. Tim James, says he is aware of the reports of civilian casualties in Nawzad. He says alliance and Afghan troops are inspecting the site and will release additional information later.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in