North Korea to move artillery out of range of Seoul as part of peace talks, South Korea suggests

Relocating up to 1,000 artillery pieces, which present direct threat to 10m people in South Korean capital, now 'under discussion'

Hjung-Jin Kim
Seoul
Monday 25 June 2018 06:52 BST
Comments
Visitors walk past weapons displayed at the Korean War Memorial in Seoul
Visitors walk past weapons displayed at the Korean War Memorial in Seoul

The rival Koreas are discussing the possible relocation of North Korea’s long range artillery systems away from the tense Korean border, the South’s prime minister said, as the countries forge ahead with steps to lower tensions and extend a recent detente.

North Korea has deployed an estimated 1,000 artillery pieces along the border, posing a significant threat to Seoul and the metropolitan area.

In a speech marking the 68th anniversary of the outbreak of the 1950-53 Korean War, Lee Nak-yon said that “moving (North Korea’s) long range artillery to the rear is under discussion”, as he explained what types of goodwill steps between the sides have been taken in recent months.

Mr Lee’s comments appear to be Seoul’s first official confirmation of media reports that South Korea demanded that the North reposition its forward-deployed artillery pieces during inter-Korean military talks this month. Seoul’s Defence Ministry, which has denied those reports, said it had no immediate comment on Mr Lee’s speech.

A 2016 South Korean defence white paper described the North’s long range artillery as one of the country’s biggest threats, along with its nuclear and missile programmes. Seoul, a capital city with 10 million people, is about 40-50km from the border.

South Korean media speculated that during the 14 June military talks, the North likely demanded that South Korea and the US withdraw their own artillery systems from the border as a reciprocal measure. About 28,500 US soldiers are deployed in South Korea.

Also on Monday, military officers from the two Koreas met to discuss how to fully restore their military hotline communication channels, according to the South’s Defence Ministry. The results of the talks were expected later on Monday.

The talks came a day after Seoul said it would “indefinitely suspend” two small-scale annual military drills with the US. The drills involving marines from the allies were supposed to occur from July to September, according to a statement from the Defence Ministry. It said South Korea is willing to take unspecified additional measures if North Korea is continuously engaged in “productive” negotiations.

Last week, South Korea and the US announced the suspension of their larger, annual military exercises, called the Ulchi Freedom Guardian, part of their efforts to increase the chances of successful nuclear diplomacy with North Korea. Some experts say the drills’ suspension could weaken the allies’ combined defence posture against North Korea.

AP

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in