Trump insists Kim Jong-un 'does not want to break his promise to me' hours after North Korea missile test

‘He also knows that I am with him and does not want to break his promise to me. Deal will happen!’

Victoria Gagliardo-Silver
New York
Saturday 04 May 2019 15:54
Comments
Kim Jong Un on denuclearisation: 'If I'm not willing to do that I wouldn't be here right now'

Donald Trump has insisted the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will not break “the promise he made” about denuclearisation, hours after the secretive communist state fired several short-range missiles from its east coast.

Described as “several projectiles” by the South Korean military, they flew distances ranging from 44 to 124 miles after they were launched off the Hodo peninsula coast, according to South Korea’s joint chiefs of staff.

If it is confirmed that North Korea fired banned ballistic missiles, it would be the first such launch by Pyongyang since November 2017.

Seoul later said it was “very concerned” about the test launch and urged its northern neighbour to resume nuclear negotiations.

Mr Kim has previously promised not to test nuclear weaponry or intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs).

Offering his support to his counterpart, Mr Trump tweeted that Mr Kim realised “the great economic potential of North Korea, & will do nothing to interfere or end it.”

He added: “He also knows that I am with him & does not want to break his promise to me. Deal will happen!”

However, earlier this year talks between the pair in the Vietnamese city of Hanoi ended at an impasse over the North’s pursuit of nuclear bombs that can accurately target the US mainland.

North Korea wants widespread sanctions relief in return for disarmament moves that the United States has rejected as insufficient.

In a sign of Pyongyang’s growing frustration, it has recently demanded that the US secretary of state Mike Pompeo be removed from nuclear negotiations and criticised national security adviser John Bolton.

North Korea said last month that it had tested a new type of unspecified “tactical guided weapon.”

After the latest launch, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the US was “aware of North Korea’s actions” and that the US would “continue to monitor as necessary”.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in