Usheila Patel: British woman dies on honeymoon in Sri Lanka

‘I still talk to her at night when I look at the stars,’ fiance says

Abby Young-Powell
Friday 10 May 2019 18:20 BST

A British woman has died of suspected food poisoning while on honeymoon in Sri Lanka.

Usheila Patel, 31, fell ill shortly after checking into the five-star Amari Galle Hotel. Early the next morning she was taken to a local hospital, along with her new husband, Khilan Chandaria, 33.

The cause of death is unconfirmed, but it is suspected that she died of food poisoning.

Ms Patel ate a club sandwich prepared by the hotel, along with other foods from elsewhere.

Mr Chandaria is still in Sri Lanka while investigations are being carried out. “I still talk to Usheila at night when I look at the stars. She was supposed to be with me for the rest of our lives,” he told The Sun.

“The authorities are not treating me as a culprit but aren’t treating me like a victim either. I don’t want to leave without her,” he said.

The couple married in Brent, North London, in April before setting off on their honeymoon.

A spokesperson from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We are supporting a British man in Sri Lanka. Our consular staff have shared advice on bereavement abroad and are in contact with the Sri Lankan authorities.”

A spokesperson for the £100-a-night Amari hotel says the hotel complies with established international-standard food handling processes. It was awarded the ISO 22000 certification for excellent food safety management in April.

“We are highly confident of our food safety standards,” a spokesperson said.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in