Hundreds of Russians told to move away from North Korean border

Directive follows Pyongyang's provocative missile test over northern Japan

Jon Sharman
Thursday 31 August 2017 17:46 BST
Comments
People watch a television news screen showing a graphic of a North Korean missile launch at a station in Seoul
People watch a television news screen showing a graphic of a North Korean missile launch at a station in Seoul

Hundreds of Russians have reportedly been ordered to move away from their homes near country's border with North Korea following its latest missile test.

Around 1,500 people were told by the country's emergencies ministry to leave the area around the 24-mile border that runs along the Tumen River.

The order came after Pyongyang's provocative launch of a nuclear-capable, intermediate-range ballistic missile over Japan's northern island of Hokkaido, earlier this week.

It was the secretive communist state's 13th launch this year.

Russian authorities gave a verbal order that the inhabitants should move away from the border, according to Mail Online, citing Kremlin-linked media sources.

The missile launch prompted outrage from Japan and the UN Security Council, while South Korea and the US conducted test bombings in a show of force.

US President Donald Trump, subsequently tweeted: "The US has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!"

His social media outburst came as China pushed for diplomatic talks.

Russia said it wanted Pyongyang to show restraint and avoid any new provocative actions, while calling on the US and its allies to refrain from any military escalation.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in