Briton found dead in Australian detention centre

Joe Sinclair,Pa
Wednesday 08 December 2010 10:54
Comments

A British man who died in an Australian immigration centre today has been named by sources as 29-year-old David Saunders.

Mr Saunders, who was due to be deported, is believed to have committed suicide.

He is the third person to die at the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre in Sydney in as many months, prompting calls for an investigation into how the centre is run.

The man was discovered not breathing in his high-security accommodation block at about 3.20am.

A spokesman for the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) said: "CPR was commenced immediately and an ambulance called but the man was pronounced dead by New South Wales Ambulance officers.

"Police will investigate the circumstances around the man's death which may become the subject of a coroner's inquest.

"The deceased had been detained for breaching his visa conditions and was on a removal pathway."

It is understood the man, who had no further avenues for appeal, was wanted in the UK for serious criminal offences.

Other detainees told refugee activists Mr Saunders took his own life.

Tensions are running high at the immigration centre where two previous apparent suicides sparked week-long protests and hunger strikes.

Fijian Josefa Rauluni, 36, threw himself off a building at Villawood on September 20, hours before he was due to be flown home, and Iraqi Ahmad Al Eqabi was found dead in his shower on November 16.

Ian Rintoul, of the Refugee Action Coalition, called for an immediate inquiry into the detention regime, saying: "The immigration department cannot explain this away. Something must be done to break the vicious downward spiral that has developed at Villawood.

"The government's addiction to such an authoritarian and punitive detention regime is literally costing people's lives. How many more lives will it take before the government puts a stop to it?"

Mr Saunders reportedly told other detainees he had been in Australia for six months and in the high-security "stage one" area for over a month.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We can confirm there has been a death of a British national in Villawood Immigration Detention Centre today.

"We are in contact with local authorities.

"Next of kin have been informed and we stand ready to provide consular assistance to them."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in