Hoverboard causes fire that burns Melbourne family home to the ground

Ash Ibraheim said he had made sure the hoverboards he bought met Australian standards

Wednesday 06 January 2016 10:07
Comments
Hoverboards have been growing in popularity
Hoverboards have been growing in popularity

A hoverboard caused a fire that destroyed a family home in Melbourne, after being plugged in for 10 minutes.

Ash Ibraheim bought his daughters hoverboards, which ignited when they were left to charge in the family home.

The blaze burned so quickly that Mr Ibraheim said he was unable to put it out.

The father-of-four said he had made sure the hoverboards he bought met Australian standards.

"We heard there were a lot of imported versions that weren't complying, so we wanted to make sure we got the right thing," he told ABC.

All family members and their pets were safely evacuated but the house was severely damaged.

Acting deputy chief officer Robert Purcell from Metropolitan Fire Brigade told the BBC there was total devastation to the interior of the house.

A fire investigator, Rod East, said the hoverboard’s battery had exploded.

“The insides have been spewed out,” he told The Guardian. “The actual device would have caught fire and it’s caught on to the bed and spread through the rest of the house.”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in