Eight youths found dead in apparent New Year’s Eve gas tragedy in Bosnia

Four men and women, aged 18 to 20, thought to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Chiara Giordano
Friday 01 January 2021 17:43 GMT
Comments
Eight young men and women have been found dead in a cottage in Bosnia in an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning
Eight young men and women have been found dead in a cottage in Bosnia in an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning (Elvis Barukcic/AFP via Getty Images)

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

Eight men and women have been found dead in a cottage in Bosnia in an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning during a New Year's Eve celebration.  

Police spokeswoman Martina Medic said officers responded to a call at about 10am local time on Friday and went to a house in Tribistovo where several people were found dead.  

Regional police commissioner Milan Galic later told N1 broadcaster the victims were local residents, four men and four women, aged between 18 and 20.  

"They most probably suffocated but more information will be available after the investigation," he said.  

Their bodies were discovered on Friday after friends staying in a neighbouring cottage went to wish them a happy new year, according to Vecernji.ba.  

One man reportedly forced entry to the property, where he found the group unconscious on the ground floor.  

In a Facebook post, the Posusje municipality, where the village is located - about 90 miles south west of the capital of Sarajevo - mourned "eight young lives lost" and urged local cafes and restaurants to close down to honour the victims.  

Top officials from Bosnia and Croatia offered condolences to their families as a national day of mourning was declared for 2 January.  

The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina will be flown at half mast on government buildings and media in the state will adjust its programme schedule for the day, according to the Klix.ba website.  

Bosnian and Croatian media said the eight were high school and university students who died from carbon monoxide leaking from a generator they used for heating as they celebrated New Year's Eve in a holiday cottage.  

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.  

Additional reporting by Associated Press 

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in