Exploding bubble gum kills student

Thursday 10 December 2009 14:52 GMT

A Ukrainian chemistry student was killed chewing explosive bubble gum that tore off half of his face.

A police spokeswoman said the 25-year-old accidentally dipped the gum into explosives he was using for studies.

She said Vladimir Likhonos mistook the powder for the citric acid he often added to increase the gum's sour taste.

The spokeswoman said Mr Likhonos, from the town of Konotop in north-east Ukraine, blew off his jaw and most of the lower part of his face.

She said on the table where he had been working police found about 100 grammes of the suspected explosive, a powder that resembles citric acid but has yet to be identified.

"Anybody could have mixed them up," she said.

Medical workers who arrived on the scene attempted to treat his injuries but were unable to save him.

"Even some of our seasoned officers, who have seen a thing or two, even they were pretty badly shaken up by what they found," the police spokeswoman said.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in