Istanbul airport attack death toll rises to 41 after triple suicide bombing

The office said 239 people were injured in the attack

Samuel Osborne
Wednesday 29 June 2016 11:02
Comments
A Turkish anti-riot police officer stands guard as people walk past near the explosion site on 29 June, 2016 at Ataturk airport International arrival terminal in Istanbul, a day after a suicide bombing and gun attack targeted Istanbul's airport, killing at least 36 people
A Turkish anti-riot police officer stands guard as people walk past near the explosion site on 29 June, 2016 at Ataturk airport International arrival terminal in Istanbul, a day after a suicide bombing and gun attack targeted Istanbul's airport, killing at least 36 people

The death toll following a triple suicide bombing and gun attack on Istanbul's Ataturk istanbul airport has risen to 41, the city's governor's office has said.

Three gunmen armed with AK-47s opened fire at the airport before blowing themselves up.

A statement on the governor's website said 37 of the victims have been identified, including 10 foreign nationals and three people with dual citizenship.

It went on to say 239 people were injured in the attack, but 109 have been discharged from hospitals.

Video shows moment Istanbul airport bomber brought down by police

CCTV footage shared on social media showed two of the detonations, at least one of which came after police fired at and wounded an attacker.

The third gunman was reported to have blown himself up in the car park outside.

A Turkish official said earlier 23 Turkish citizens and 13 foreign nations had been killed in the attack.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said so far all indications pointed to Isis being behind the attack.

He said the attackers arrived at the airport in a taxi, and they were able to launch the attack without going through security checks.

"This [attack] has shown once again that terrorism is a global threat," he said. "This is a heinous planned attack that targeted innocent people."

"The findings of our security forces point at the Daesh organisation as the perpetrators of this terror attack," Mr Yildirim told reporters at the airport, using another name for Isis.

"Even though the indications suggest Daesh, our investigations are continuing.

"What is noteworthy is that this attack came at a time when our country is putting up a merciless fight against separatist terrorism and recording significant success,” Mr Yildirim said.

Some flights have now resumed at the airport, including the lifting of a blanket ban on all flights to and from the US.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in