Italian Prime Minister's new €1million a month jet 'grounded because no one is qualified to fly it'

The smaller plane used by previous Italian heads of state is reportedly being replaced

Lizzie Dearden
Wednesday 09 December 2015 22:05
Comments
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi arrives in his plane at the Andrews Air Force base April 12, 2010 to attend the Nuclear Security Summit in Washington, DC
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi arrives in his plane at the Andrews Air Force base April 12, 2010 to attend the Nuclear Security Summit in Washington, DC

A luxurious plane hired by the Italian government to transport the Prime Minister on state visits around the world is reportedly unusable until the country’s Air Force can be trained to fly it.

An anonymous pilot told satirical news programme Striscia la Notizia that the aircraft, leased by the United Arab Emirates’ Etihad Airways in October, had arrived in Rome before officials realised that there was no one qualified to be the pilot.

“At the moment no Air Force pilots - who are the only ones authorised to fly the plane – have the necessary qualifications,” the pilot said. "People are currently being trained."

The informant also claimed that the airport traditionally used for departures and arrivals from state visits, Rome Ciampino, has runways too narrow for the new plane’s wingspan.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has been criticised in the Italian media for the reported spend on the plane

Italy is paying a rumoured €1 million a month for the Airbus A340-500, which has been lavishly refitted with an ensuite bathroom and a conference room, The Local reported.

The plane’s arrival was first reported earlier this year in Italian newspapers, who said that it was intended to replace the much smaller A319 currently flying Prime Minister Matteo Renzi around the world.

The Corriere della Sera newspaper reports that the old jet needs to land every five hours to refuel, necessitating stops in countries including Russia and Kazakhstan that will no longer be necessary.

Mr Renzi’s office has not publicly commented on the claims or responded to the Independent’s request for a comment.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in