A man has died after he asked for a glass of white wine in a cafe and was accidentally served dishwasher detergent.
According to local paper El Periódico Mediterraneo, Spanish Police are investigating and the café owner has been arrested.
Andres Lorente, 50, felt a burning sensation after drinking the glass of what he thought was wine on Sunday afternoon at Bar Raconet in the Spanish region of Castellón.
Medical staff rushed to the scene to attempt to resuscitate him.
However, the divorced father of two died from major internal burns in Comarcal de Vinaròs Hospital.
According to Spanish news source The Local Es, the lethal liquid “had been stored in an empty bottle of wine and mistakenly been put in the fridge by a member of staff.”
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies