Ten-year-old boy dies after eating contaminated burger patty from Lidl

Nolan Moittie lost the use of 80 per cent of his body 

Zamira Rahim
Monday 16 September 2019 11:34 BST
The ten-year-old died on Saturday.
The ten-year-old died on Saturday. (Screenshot/Le Parisien)

A 10-year-old boy who was left paralysed after eating an E coli contaminated beef patty from Lidl, has died.

Nolan Moittie was taken to hospital on Saturday when his heart stopped, according to Le Parisien.

The child died shortly afterwards.

Nolan was one of around 15 French children who fell ill after being infected with the E coli strain in 2011.

Regional authorities said the group had eaten steak haché, a chopped steak dish popular in France.

The group had eaten infected patties from Lidl, the German supermarket.

Children were particularly badly affected by the E coli strain.

The patties were produced by suppliers SEB-CERF, a now closed company, under the brand “Steaks Country”, according to The Local.

The product was withdrawn after the outbreak.

Nolan, then 23-months-old, developed neurological sequelae, a condition which affects the nervous system.

He went on to lose the use of 80 per cent of his body.

The toddler had initially been hospitalised for pain, before suffering a heart attack while admitted and falling into a coma.

Florence Rault, the family’s lawyer, said the child and his family had suffered through “a real ordeal.”

Other children who contracted the infection were left with kidney damage.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

Guy Lamorlette, SEB-CERF’s founder and former company manager, was jailed for three years over the contamination, for failing to carry out adequate product checks.

Additional reporting by agencies

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in