Ukrainian rebel leader announces ceasefire in statement on Russian TV

Tuesday 13 September 2016 13:26
Comments
Servicemen march during Ukraine's Independence Day military parade in central Kiev
Servicemen march during Ukraine's Independence Day military parade in central Kiev

The separatist leader in eastern Ukraine has announced a unilateral ceasefire starting at midnight on Wednesday.

The conflict between Russia-backed separatist rebels and Ukrainian government troops has killed more than 9,500 people since it began in April 2014.

Alexander Zakharchenko, rebel leader in Donetsk, made the ceasefire announcement in a recorded statement aired on Russian television on Tuesday.

It was the first time that the rebels have announced a unilateral ceasefire.

The announcement comes a few hours after Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said that he expects the parliament to vote soon on constitutional amendments granting autonomy to eastern Ukraine.

Zakharchenko said he has ordered rebel troops to cease fire on Wednesday midnight and urged Ukraine to do the same.

Wearing a suit instead of his normal camouflage for the televised statement, the separatist leader said the rebels are "fully committed to the Minsk agreements" and see them as "the only solution."

It's the first time that that the separatists, who are widely believed to be controlled by Moscow, have come with an idea of a unilateral cease-fire.

At least three government troops have been killed and 15 wounded in fighting in eastern Ukraine in the past 24 hours, officials said. One more person was reported missing.

In Donetsk, the rebel mouthpiece Donetsk News Agency said three of its men have been killed.

The announcement comes a few hours after Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said that he expects the parliament to vote soon on constitutional amendments granting autonomy to eastern Ukraine.

Ukraine has blamed Russia for not doing enough to get the rebels to relinquish control over parts of the Ukrainian-Russian border while Russia is unhappy that Ukraine still has not adopted the constitutional amendments it was supposed to have introduced, granting autonomy to parts of eastern Ukraine.

Poroshenko, who said earlier on Tuesday that he would not send that bill to parliament until the time is right, later said he expects it to vote on the amendments "in the nearest future."

His office also announced that he will be meeting the foreign ministers of France, Germany, Poland and Britain on Wednesday in what could be summit talks to discuss the Ukraine settlement.

Before his joint visit to Kiev with French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier said that after talking with Ukraine and Russia on Monday he believes it is possible "to agree now, and without preconditions, on a durable cease-fire."

"Our proposals are on the table, for making the cease-fire permanent and for the political process," Steinmeier said, adding that he will also be speaking to Ukrainian lawmakers to discuss what can be done to get the Minsk process moving.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in