Two hospitals have been hit in suspected Russian air strikes in northern Syria, killing at least 20 people and wounding dozens.
At least seven people have been killed after a hospital in Marat Al Numan, Idlib was hit on Monday, Doctors Without Borders (also known by its French acronym MSF) who support the medical centre have said. Eight members of staff have also disappeared - it is not known if they are dead or alive.
The 30-bed hospital in Idlib was hit four times in two series of at least two attacks within a few minutes of each other on Monday, MSF said.
Massimiliano Rebaudengo, MSF’s Head of Mission, told the Independent: “This appears to be a deliberate attack on a health structure, and we condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms.
“The destruction of the hospital leaves the local population of around 40,000 people without access to medical services in an active zone of conflict.
An MSF spokeswoman previously said: "We can confirm that an MSF-supported structure in Marat Al Numan in Idlib, northern Syria was destroyed this morning in air strikes. We are currently gathering more information about the attack but have nothing more to share as yet."
MSF have supported the hospital, which had 54 staff two operating theatres, an outpatients department and an emergency room, since September 2015.
The humanitarian medical organisation covered all the needs of the hospital including provision of medical supplies and running costs.
MSF International said over Twitter they believe four rockets were involved in the air strike.
Speaking by telephone from Maaret al-Numan, Tahya al-Sobeih, an opposition activist said: “The entire building collapsed to the ground.”
He added five people were killed near the clinic and “all members of the medical team inside are believed to be dead”. This has not been confirmed by MSF.
He said paramedics were now working to remove the rubble.
Alleged footage of the incident has been posted on social media, however MSF say the are unable to verify it.
The strikes comes just days after Russia and other world powers agreed to a limited cessation of hostilities after talks in Munich.
A Russian Foreign Ministry official has reportedly said Russia will continue its air strikes around Aleppo even if a ceasefire agreement in Syria is reached, according to the Interfax news agency.
Syrian troops have been on the offensive in northern Syria under the cover of Russian air strikes over the past week. The ground offensive has been focused on the northern province of Aleppo while Monday’s air strike struck the clinic in near-by Idlib province.
Additional reporting by various agencies
Join our commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies