Trump to send US troops to Saudi Arabia following attacks on oil facilities

Deployment not ‘in thousands’ but officials refuse to provide full details 

Andrew Buncombe
Seattle
Friday 20 September 2019 20:01
Comments
Donald Trump on Iran: 'I don't want a war but US is more prepared than any country'

Donald Trump is dispatching additional forces to Saudi Arabia following the attack on oil facilities that the US has blamed on Iran.

A week after Saudi oil facilities at Khurai and Abqaiq were damaged – in an operation that Houthi rebels in Yemen claimed responsibility for and which temporarily halved the kingdom’s oil production – the Pentagon announced it was be deploying a “moderate” number of troops primarily “defensive in nature”.

US marine general Joseph Dunford, chair of the joint chiefs of staff, and secretary of defence Mark Esper told reporters in Washington the deployment would not reach thousands of troops, but they declined to be more specific.

There was no mention of possible strikes against Iran, something Mr Trump has raised the prospect of, but also said he wanted to avoid.

Mr Esper, who said “all indications” were that Iran was responsible for the attacks despite Tehran’s denial, said the move was a first measure.

Anywhere up to 5,000 troops are already in Saudi Arabi, and the Pentagon announced as recently as July it was deploying a further 500 soldiers as tensions with Iran mounted.

The news followed an announcement by Mr Trump that the US was imposing new sanctions on Iran.

“I think the sanctions work,” Mr Trump said in the Oval Office, where he was meeting Australian prime minister Scott Morrison.

Drone attacks spark huge fire at Saudi Aramco, the world's biggest oil processing facility

“We have just sanctioned the Iranian national bank. These are the highest sanctions ever imposed on a country.”

He added: “The easiest thing I could do is knock out 15 different major things in Iran. I could do it right here in front of you. And that would be it. And then you would have a nice, big story to report.

“‘But I think the strong-person approach and the thing that does show strength would be showing a little bit of restraint.”

There had been anticipation Mr Trump might meet Iranian president, Hassan Rouhani, next week on the sidelines of the UN summit in New York.

That now seems all but certain not to happen.

The Pentagon said additional troops and military equipment will also be deployed to the United Arab Emirates to beef up security.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in