Hajj stampede death toll 'now 1,453 – making it deadliest tragedy ever to hit Mecca pilgrimage'

New tally puts death toll significantly higher than the Saudi's claim of 769

Agency
Friday 09 October 2015 12:27 BST
The Associated Press' tally is significantly higher than the official Saudi account
The Associated Press' tally is significantly higher than the official Saudi account (Getty)

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

A new tally shows last month's crush and stampede at the Hajj in Saudi Arabia was the deadliest event to ever strike the annual pilgrimage.

The Associated Press count shows at least 1,453 people died on 24 September in Mina near the holy city of Mecca. That figure comes from statements and officials' comments from 19 of the over 180 countries that sent citizens to the five-day annual pilgrimage.

Saudi officials have said their official figure of 769 killed and 934 injured in the disaster remains accurate. Their investigation is ongoing.

The previous deadliest-ever incident happened in 1990, when a stampede killed 1,426 people.

In this year's disaster, Iran says it had 465 pilgrims killed, while Egypt lost 148 and Indonesia 120.

Others include India with 101, Nigeria with 99, Pakistan with 93, Mali with 70, Bangladesh with 63, Senegal with 54, Benin with 51, Cameroon with 42, Ethiopia with 31, Sudan with 30, Morocco with 27, Algeria with 25, Ghana with 12, Chad with 11, Kenya with eight and Turkey with three.

AP

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in