Isis release final audio statement of suicide bomber who killed 27 in Kuwait attack

In the statement, he criticised Shia Muslims for 'insulting Islam' and recited Quran verses

Doug Bolton
Monday 29 June 2015 22:16
Comments
Two men react to the chaos caused by Friday's suicide bombing
Two men react to the chaos caused by Friday's suicide bombing

Isis has released an audio clip of the final statement of Fahd Suliman Abdul-Muhsen al-Qabaa, the man who killed 27 people in a suicide attack at a Kuwait mosque on Friday.

The clip is mostly made up of al-Qabaa reciting verses from the Quran, and criticising Shia Muslims for 'insulting Islam'.

Images and videos from the scene in the aftermath of the bombing show part of the mosque reduced to rubble, with a number of bodies lying in the wreckage.

A paramedic at the scene said the victims were mostly men and boys attending the mosque to pray.

Kuwait identified al-Qabaa on Sunday. They said he flew into Kuwait International Airport on Friday, shortly before detonating his bomb at the mosque.

Al-Qabaa was Saudi Arabian, and the Saudi interior ministry have said that he was not previously known to their security services. The state news agency reported that he flew to Bahrain on Thursday, before he made his way to Kuwait.

A group called the Najd Province, purportedly affiliated with Isis, claimed responsibility for the attack, which injured over 200 people in addition to the 27 killed.

Fahd Suliman Abdul-Muhsen al-Qabaa, the man who Kuwaiti authorities say murdered 27 men and boys in Friday's bombing

They referred to al-Qabaa as 'Abu Sulaiman al-Muwahhid' in their statement after the attack.

The attack, the first major one in Kuwait in decades, took place during Friday prayers, during the holy month of Ramadan, meaning the mosque was busier and more crowded than usual, with around 2,000 people attending.

Kuwaiti police have made arrests in connection with the bombing, arresting a man accused of transporting al-Qabaa to the mosque before the attack, and another man in Kuwait that the bomber is said to have connections to.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in