Jamie Harron: Man jailed in Dubai for touching man's hip says 'I would go back'

'I'm not going back in a hurry, but I would go back later on,' says 27-year-old

Graeme Murray
Wednesday 25 October 2017 08:38
Jamie Harron returns to UK after four months imprisoned in Dubai: "I'm in total shock"

A British man detained in Dubai after he brushed a man's hip in a bar has admitted he would return to the Emirates despite his four-month ordeal.

Jamie Harron, 27, from Stirling, touched down at Glasgow Airport on an Emirates flight EK025 from Dubai where he was met by his family and friends.

He had been sentenced to three months in prison after he was arrested in July and accused of putting his hand on a man's hip to avoid spilling a drink in a crowded bar.

Mr Harron was relieved to be back on home soil after facing the prospect of three years in a United Arab Emirates (UAE) jail.

He said: "It feels very good, I'm very happy to be home."

Asked what was the first thing he would do when he got home he said: "Get in a good bed, it's been a total shambles. It's just total shock I feel.

"I get to sleep in my own bed because I've been sleeping on my mate's couch for three and half months. I can't believe it's been four months in total."

Mr Harron said he had not ruled out going back to the UAE despite his ordeal.

He added: "I would go back through work once everything has been cleared for me.

"I'm not going back in a hurry, but I would go back later on. I think I've been caught up in a bad situation. I didn't see light at the end of the tunnel to be honest."

Campaign group Detained in Dubai (DiD), which has been representing Mr Harron, said he was sentenced to three months imprisonment at court on Sunday, but had his passport returned on Monday after authorities dropped the charges.

Radha Stirling, chief executive of DiD then thanked Sheikh Mohammed for his personal intervention in the case and for exonerating Mr Harron.

She said: "This was a courageous and honourable decision on the part of Sheikh Mohammed, and while it highlights the urgent need for judicial reform in the country, it is also a hopeful sign that the United Arab Emirates' leadership possesses the will and vision to pursue such reforms in the future."

Mr Harron had been working in Afghanistan and was on a two-day stopover in the UAE in the summer.

But after his arrest for "public indecency", he lost his job and was told he faced up to three years in jail.

He was sentenced "in absentia" to 30 days in prison for failing to appear at a court hearing for making a rude gesture and drinking alcohol in the incident.

This resulted in him being locked up for five days at Al Barsha prison, before he was bailed and his passport confiscated.

After authorities intervened, Dubai police contacted Mr Harron on Monday morning, telling him the case against him had been dismissed and he could collect his passport.


Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in