US troops did execute Iraqi civilians, leaked letter claims

WikiLeaks exposé casts doubt on American military's version of events in March 2006

Donald Macintyre,Jerome Taylor
Friday 02 September 2011 00:00
Comments
Iraqis with the bodies of children allegedly killed in the US raid on Ishaqi in March 2006
Iraqis with the bodies of children allegedly killed in the US raid on Ishaqi in March 2006

More than five years after the American military denied claims that its troops had executed at least 10 Iraqi civilians in cold blood, new evidence has emerged in a WikiLeaks diplomatic cable casting serious doubt on the US version of events.

A UN complaint contained in the latest batch of cables published by the whistle-blowing organisation suggests that in 2006 US troops killed at least 10 civilians, including five children and an elderly woman, in the central town of Ishaqi before ordering an air strike which destroyed the house where the alleged killings took place.

The incident is raised in a letter from Philip Alston, the UN rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions. Mr Alston's letter to US officials, which went unanswered, challenges the American military version of events. It says that autopsies carried out in the nearby city of Tikrit showed the victims had been handcuffed and shot in the head. They included a woman in her 70s and a five-month-old. The US military had said that the troops seized an al-Qa'ida suspect from a first floor room after fierce fighting left the house in ruins. US officials originally said five people had been killed, although they later accepted a higher toll of 11.

The leaked cable has been highlighted by the US-based McClatchy newspaper chain. Its reporters in Iraq at the time interviewed neighbours and Iraqi security officials, who gave similar accounts to those contained in Mr Alston's letter but which the US military insisted were unlikely to be true.

Mr Alston sent a series of questions about the incident to the US embassy in Geneva, which passed them on to Washington. Although the US military announced an investigation into the incident, no known action was taken.

Asked whether he had elicited any more information about what happened, Mr Alston told The Independent: "[The US] studiously avoided responding to any communications sent to it during this period. The tragedy is that this elaborate system of communications is in place but the [UN] Human Rights Council does nothing to follow-up when states ignore issues raised with them."

The incident, in March 2006, occurred when large tracts of countryside were judged to be in the control of Sunni insurgents, many affiliated to al-Qa'ida in Iraq. Neighbours told the McClatchy reporters that troops had approached the house of a farmer, Faiz Harrat al-Majma'ee, at about 2.30am. There had been a 25-minute firefight, with someone apparently firing from the house, before the troops entered the building. The troops were backed up by helicopter gunships, they said.

Mr Alston's concerns reflect those in the original report by Iraqi security officials at the local Joint Coordination Centre. Its report said: "The American forces gathered the family members in one room and executed 11 persons, including five children, four women and two men. Then they bombed the house, burned three vehicles and killed their animals."

In his letter, Mr Alston – who names 10 victims –says "Iraqi TV stations broadcast from the scene and showed bodies of the victims (i.e. five children and four women) in the morgue of Tikrit". He adds that autopsies revealed that all corpses were shot in the head and handcuffed. There is no mention in the cable of any of the alleged shooting suspects being found or arrested at or near the house.

McClatchy said the Pentagon did not respond to requests for comment.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in