Protesters are mobilising “women’s strikes” across Argentina after the brutal killing, rape and impalement of a teenage girl that has shocked the country.
Lucia Perez was allegedly abducted outside her school by a gang before being drugged, repeatedly raped and penetrated with an additional object.
Some 50 activist groups are calling on women across the South American country to take to the streets dressed in black at 1pm on Wednesday to protest against the sexist culture that exists.
There were 235 "femicides" - the term written into Argentina's legal constitution to describe gender-based killings - in 2015 and at least three women have been killed in the country since Miss Perez's death.
“The protest intends to be a call to reflection for the entire population,” said journalist and author Florencia Abbate, who works closely with protest organisers Ni Una Menos.
“So that each person evaluates his own practices and understands the need for a cultural change.”
Miss Perez is believed to have been abducted outside her school in Mar del Plata, a city 260 miles south of capital Buenos Aires, on 8 October.
Her body was brought to hospital by two men claiming she overdosed on drugs, but doctors soon noticed signs of violent sexual penetration.
Lead prosecutor Maria Isabel Sanchez said: “I know it’s not very professional to say it, but I’m a mother and a woman, and I’ve seen a thousand things in my career, but nothing equal to this litany of abhorrent acts.”
Two men have been arrested over the incident.
Miss Perez’s parents led a 1,000-strong protest on Saturday demanding the judge deny them bail.
Thousands took part in similar protests over violence against women in Argentina last year.
Join our commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies