Dillian Whyte eyes scrap with Alexander Povetkin as his wait for WBC title shot continues

The WBC informed Whyte that he will not get his shot at Deontay Wilder until February 2021

Freddie Keighley
Wednesday 08 January 2020 17:57
Comments
Dillian Whyte wants to fight Alexander Povetkin next
Dillian Whyte wants to fight Alexander Povetkin next

British heavyweight Dillian Whyte is eyeing up a spring bout with former Alexander Povetkin, 40, as he is unwilling to wait until next year for his shot at the WBC belt.

The World Boxing Council informed the 31-year-old that he will not get his shot at WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder until February 2021 despite the Brit’s status as the interim champion.

Whyte is planning to fight this year as he looks to improve his 27-1 record and he is in talks with promoter Eddie Hearn to discuss his options after overcoming Polish heavyweight Mariusz Wach last month on the Andy Ruiz Jr v Anthony Joshua II card.

Povetkin also fought on the card, drawing with American fighter Michael Hunter to move his record to 35 wins, two losses – to Wladimir Klitschko and Anthony Joshua – and one draw.

Speaking about his plans for the year, Whyte told Sky Sports: “I’ve got a meeting with Eddie on Tuesday, so we’re going to see, because there are a lot of fights happening and stuff.

“We’ve got to be mindful of the date and timing and stuff, so I need to speak to him to get a full idea of his plans. We’ll meet and see what the plans are and then we’ll make a decision. I’m not going to wait another 800 days [for Wilder]. What for?

Regarding the date and venue of the potential bout, Whyte added: “He [Hearn] mentioned April 18 on an interview, so I guess that’s the date. Probably in London or Manchester, something like that. The O2 gets booked up a lot, so either London or Manchester.

“They are two good venues and it would be good to move to a different part of the country some time as well. Manchester Arena would be good.”

Speaking about his prospective Russian opponent, Whyte said: “If he wants it, he can get it. It’s going to be a tear-up, because he is not really a mover and I’m not really a mover, so he’s a come forward fighter and I come forward.

“We’re going to have a scrap. Povetkin comes to fight doesn’t he. He doesn’t come to mess about. I’m the same, so let’s get it. Let’s see who has got the best left hook around.”

Whyte’s only career defeat came by knockout to Anthony Joshua in 2015 and he has since beaten rival Dereck Chisora twice, Joseph Parker and won the WBC Interim Heavyweight Title by beating Oscar Rivas in July last year.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in