Alex Hales could return to county cricket action this week after ban, says Nottinghamshire coach Peter Moores

The England opener was withdrawn from all international squads earlier this week but will be able to play for his county, pending approval

Ed Malyon
Sports Editor
Wednesday 01 May 2019 16:36
Comments
Hales will be welcomed back by Nottinghamshire, his county, after England axed him
Hales will be welcomed back by Nottinghamshire, his county, after England axed him

Alex Hales is ready to return to cricket after his ban for recreational drug use, and could play for Nottinghamshire on Friday pending approval from the team's hierarchy.

The explosive opening batsman was withdrawn from England's international squads, including the 15-man World Cup squad, over his second positive test for recreational substances but that ban is set to lapse.

Peter Moores, Nottinghamshire's head coach, has spoken with the batsman to assess his mental state and is ready to pick the 30-year-old.

That decision, however, is up to chief executive Lisa Pursehouse and director of cricket Mick Newell, in conjunction with other senior figures at Notts.

"We'll select him if the club say it is okay to select him," Moores told the Nottingham Post ahead of Friday's 50-over clash with Durham.

Moores: "For him to come and play for us is the right way forwards"

"I'm waiting to hear about the from Mick Newell.

"If the club say it is okay to pick him then we will welcome him back.

"For him to come and play for us is the right way forwards. I've spoken with Alex.

"He's very disappointed about what has happened. He accepts responsibility for his actions, but he's very keen to get stuck in for the team and that's a positive thing.

"It's the best thing he can do after what's happened. I've got no reservations after speaking to him.

Moores has previously coached England

"He seems in the right frame of mind to play."

Hales' England future is still up in the air. While his World Cup dream would appear to be over, his management company released a statement on Tuesday accusing the ECB of "disregarding their own guidelines" and there is some doubt over whether there is any way back after a rupture that may end up with the ECB changing key tenets of its drug policy.

“Nobody is seeking to excuse Alex’s behaviour in this instance. He absolutely acknowledges and recognises he made a huge mistake," said the 366 Group in a statement.

“But as part of the ongoing process, both he and his representatives have been involved in many conversations with senior members of the ECB over the past few weeks where Alex has apologised profusely for his actions.

“The ECB insisted on Alex taking certain rehabilitation measures following his suspension. In line with both the ECB and PCA guidelines, those measures must remain confidential.

“However, at every stage, Alex fulfilled his obligations and both he and his representatives were given assurances that any suspension – again under the ECB’s guidelines – could not affect his selection for the World Cup.

“It is unfortunate that a confidential matter made it to the public arena but, even before the publication of the story, Alex had again spoken to key members of the England organisation to express his regret and contrition. At that time, he again took away the message his World Cup place would be judged on playing merit.

“The fact all those assurances seem to have been rendered meaningless has understandably left Alex devastated. He will take time to reflect on both his actions and the subsequent decisions but will receive the support from his team he deserves.

“Until the matter became public, the ECB had fully observed their own process and guidelines and given Alex the support and guidance laid out in those regulations.

Alex Hales is hurt by England's treatment of him 

“It is now disappointing to learn these guidelines seem to have been disregarded while, in this instance, player welfare would also appear to be low on their list of priorities.

“While Alex is hurt, the ECB’s decision does not dilute his commitment to the game and he will continue to give everything to Nottinghamshire’s cause. He would also like to wish England team-mates well for the World Cup.”

James Vince has been added to England’s ODI squad to face Pakistan in place of Hales.

Vince has been in exceptional form for Hampshire, scoring 96 against Glamorgan on Good Friday before a 190 against Gloucestershire the following week.

Vince is now also the frontrunner to replace Hales in England’s 15-man World Cup squad, which will be confirmed to the ICC on May 23.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in