Inter rubbish Ibrahimovic transfer rumours

Tuesday 04 February 2014 05:49
comments

Internazionale have dismissed reports suggesting Sweden international Zlatan Ibrahimovic is heading for Barcelona this summer.

Rumours about the striker's impending move intensified when Inter president Massimo Moratti hinted that the club may be forced to sell some of their best players because of the poor state of the global economy.

Inter's city rivals, AC Milan, have already sold Kaka to Real Madrid while Andrea Pirlo and Alexandre Pato could be following him out of the San Siro.

Moratti was quoted as saying: "I am not pushing to sell players, but we have to see the offers that arrive.

"Of course, looking at the economic climate, it's possible that some players could leave."

However, a statement on Inter's official website said of the Ibrahimovic reports: "During the transfer window, a headline in a newspaper is enough to transform groundless rumours into truth.

"This is what has happened after the article published in Barcelona newspaper El Mundo Deportivo about a presumed deal between FC Internazionale and the Catalan club for Ibrahimovic.

"Besides being completely unfounded, the presumed deal seems remote of any logic, even in the eyes of neutrals. The report is, therefore, without any foundation."

AC Milan have ruled out the possibility of selling striker Alexandre Pato to Chelsea.

The 19-year-old Brazilian wonderkid has been linked with a move to the Blues following confirmation of former Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti's appointment to the Stamford Bridge hot-seat last week.

Speaking earlier in the week, Pato claimed he would talk to Ancelotti before deciding whether to follow him to England.

But Milan's general manager Adriano Galliani has denied reports that Pato could be the second major player - after Real Madrid-bound Kaka - to leave the San Siro this summer.

"Pato will remain, 100 per cent," he warned. "He's untouchable."

Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi has admitted that he would welcome the chance to return to Italy.

The 22-year-old scored nine goals in 20 appearances for Parma in the second half of the 2006-07 campaign but has spent the last two seasons with the Yellow Submarine.

He said: "Italian football was wrong to let me go? Well, you cannot ask me.

"I will only say that to return to Italy is my dream."

Azzurri coach Marcello Lippi recently said that all players that were involved with the national side should be plying their trade in Serie A.

Catania have named Gianluca Atzori as their new head coach following Walter Zenga's recent departure for Palermo.

Thirty-eight-year-old Atzori was in charge of Ravenna last season and has high hopes for his opportunity to impress in Serie A.

He told reporters: "Survival is our primary objective. The fourth season in a row in Serie A is a wonderful target.

"We will look to improve our position in the table. We have to play as Catania to become a reference point among the provincial teams.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments