Man City: Champions League ban moves one step closer as Uefa refer club over potential FFP breach

City have issued a response to vehemently deny any allegations of financial irregularities and accused Uefa of making ‘mistakes, misinterpretations and confusions fundamentally borne out of a basic lack of due process’

Jack de Menezes@JackdeMenezes
Thursday 16 May 2019 10:18
comments
Pep Guardiola says he 'trusts' Man City's conduct in light of reports suggesting club broke FFP rules

Manchester City have been referred to Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body adjudicatory chamber for judgement on whether they will face a Champions League ban or not over potential breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP).

Uefa announced on Thursday morning that the CFCB has decided to press on with potential disciplinary action against the recently-crowned Premier League champions, who have denied all allegations of financial irregularities.

The body’s chief investigator, Yves Leterme, has passed on his recommendation to the adjudicatory chamber, but the statement did not confirm if he has suggested a Champions League ban for City.

But City have vowed to fight their case regardless of Leterme’s recommendation after vehemently denying allegations of wrongdoing, adding that they believe Uefa’s investigation includes “mistakes, misinterpretations and confusions fundamentally borne out of a basic lack of due process.”

In a statement released on Thursday, Uefa said: “The Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) chief investigator, after having consulted with the other members of the independent investigatory chamber of the CFCB, has today decided to refer Manchester City FC to the CFCB adjudicatory chamber following the conclusion of his investigation.

“The CFCB investigatory chamber had opened an investigation into Manchester City FC on 7 March 2019 for potential breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations that were made public in various media outlets.

“Uefa will not be making any further comment on the matter until a decision is announced by the CFCB adjudicatory chamber.”

Manchester City immediately released a statement to claim it was “not surprised” by the ruling, given that the news had been leaked earlier in the week much to the anger of the Premier League club.

A Manchester City statement read: “Manchester City Football Club is disappointed, but regrettably not surprised, by the sudden announcement of the referral to be made by the CFCB IC Chief Investigator Yves Leterme.

“The leaks to media over the last week are indicative of the process that has been overseen by Mr. Leterme.

“Manchester City is entirely confident of a positive outcome when the matter is considered by an independent judicial body.

City issued an emphatical statement to deny any wrongdoing 

“The accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false and the CFCB IC referral ignores a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence provided by Manchester City FC to the Chamber.

“The decision contains mistakes, misinterpretations and confusions fundamentally borne out of a basic lack of due process and there remain significant unresolved matters raised by Manchester City FC as part of what the club has found to be a wholly unsatisfactory, curtailed, and hostile process.”

City were fined £49m by Uefa in 2014 and hit with transfer spending and Champions League squad restrictions due to FFP breaches, which the club accepted, but the latest investigation was triggered by allegations made in German publication Der Spiegel last year.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments