Ronaldo to stay at Inter, says Moratti

Gordon Tynan
Monday 19 August 2002 00:00
comments

The Internazionale president Massimo Moratti insisted yesterday that Ronaldo would be staying with the Italian club.

His comments came after more reports over the weekend that the Brazilian striker, two-times the World Player of the Year, was on the verge of signing for Real Madrid.

"Ronaldo will stay with Inter," Moratti said, although he admitted the club had held talks with Spain's Real about a possible transfer.

"The approach was not satisfactory from the economic point of view," he said. "Thus, it is better that Ronaldo appreciates what he already has."

Meanwhile Italian clubs will decide tomorrow whether to delay the start of the new Serie A season after a stalemate in talks over television rights.

With just two weeks to the start of the campaign, there are no signs of a deal over a highlights package for terrestrial television and almost half of Serie A clubs – Atalanta, Brescia, Chievo, Como, Empoli, Modena, Perugia and Piacenza – have all been unable to reach agreement with either of Italy's two subscription satellite channels, Telepiu and Stream. The clubs are each demanding €10m (£6.4m) for the rights to live coverage of their home games this season, while the two companies have offered only €4.5m.

The Veteran German striker Oliver Bierhoff has joined the Italian Serie A side Chievo on a one-year contract

Milan's Ukrainian striker Andrei Shevchenko may be out for about two months with a knee injury. The 25-year-old injured his left knee during last week's Champions' League qualifier against Slovan Liberec and is expected to undergo surgery next week.

Barcelona are reportedly still hoping to sign the striker Mario Jardel, who has not returned to pre-season training at Sporting Lisbon. The Brazilian is currently receiving treatment for depression.

France have called up Mickaël Landreau, the Nantes goalkeeper, for their friendly match against Tunisia on Wednesday. With the starting goalkeeper Fabien Barthez, of Manchester United, and Bordeaux's Ulrich Ramé injured, France had been left with just one keeper, Lyon's Gregory Coupet, for the match in Tunis.

France previously called up Landreau for the Confederation Cup in June 2001.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments