Manchester City will learn tomorrow if their appeal against captain Vincent Kompany's dismissal against Manchester United has been successful.
The Football Association this afternoon confirmed they had received City's appeal against Kompany's dismissal in an explosive FA Cup tie yesterday.
Kompany was shown a straight red card for a challenge on United's Nani after 12 minutes of a game City lost 3-2.
A hearing will now take place tomorrow afternoon and City will be notified of the outcome later in the day.
Kompany, 24, is due to serve a four-match ban for the offence starting with the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Liverpool on Wednesday.
If the appeal proves unsuccessful he will also miss the return leg as well as Barclays Premier League games against Wigan and Tottenham.
City manager Roberto Mancini announced he would appeal immediately after the game at the Etihad Stadium, saying he not only disagreed with the decision but that he felt United striker Wayne Rooney pressured referee Chris Foy into showing red.
Rooney today used Twitter to express his thoughts on the matter.
The England forward wrote: "Funny how people think i got kompany sent off. Im not ref. i didn't give red card. But it was a clear red card. 2 footed tackle."
Mancini himself was criticised for waving an imaginary red card after an incident in his side's defeat of Liverpool last week.
The Italian felt Rooney's actions were of a similar nature.
"It was not a red card," Mancini said. "Rooney told him his decision.
"When I did this against Liverpool, people told me not to do it.
"I said I was sorry and made a mistake."
Rooney's stance has also been backed by his team-mate Rio Ferdinand.
The defender wrote on Twitter: "By the way how can there be any debate about the red card yesterday?? You leave the ground with a #2footTackle = Red card #fact."
If Kompany's ban is upheld, Premier League leaders City could find themselves short of defensive options at a crucial stage of the season.
With Kolo Toure away at the African Nations Cup, Joleon Lescott and Stefan Savic are the only other recognised centre-backs in Mancini's regular first-team squad.
Options to alleviate the problem could include restoring Nedum Onuoha, who had been expected to leave this month, to full duties or recalling Dedryck Boyata from his loan at Bolton.
Mancini, however, was so convinced after the game that Kompany was harshly treated that he expects to have the influential Belgian available again this week.
He said: "We will appeal. I am sure we will win."
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies