Livingstone spends second night under observation

Ken Gaunt
Monday 19 August 2002 00:00

Steve Livingstone, the Grimsby striker, yesterday spent a second night in hospital after being carried unconscious from Blundell Park during his side's 2-1 defeat by Derby County on Saturday. He will remain under observation although his condition is not giving cause for concern.

Livingstone was taken to hospital after a collision with the Derby defender Danny Higginbotham. He was left with blood pouring from a head wound and was carried off the pitch wearing a neck brace.

Des Walker has saluted Nottingham Forest's strike force after the 4-0 defeat of his former club Sheffield Wednesday at the City Ground on Saturday. The veteran defender said: "It was a great team performance and our three front players were a real handful. I'm thrilled for us but obviously I feel for the Wednesday fans who went back up the motorway thinking about a 4-0 defeat. They were good to me while I was at the club and I won't forget that."

Gillingham recorded their third straight win on the player-manager Andy Hessenthaler's 37th birthday. "This might be my last season as a player, but I said that last year and I am still enjoying playing. We have put together a very good squad here. I think we are good enough for a play-off spot," he said after the 1-0 victory over Millwall.

Paul McVeigh made it three goals in three games as Norwich City continued their bright start to the season by beating Brighton. The Canaries' manager Nigel Worthington said: "It was a very professional performance and I was pleased with the patience we displayed."

The Coventry assistant manager Eric Black claimed there is still more to come from his side after a 2-1 win at Reading. "We showed lots of character to come from behind in that heat," he said. "We are still getting to know the players and they are still getting to learn our system."

The Stoke manager Steve Cotterill praised his youngsters after his side's first victory on their return to the First Division. They clung on to secure three points in the face of a late barrage, beating Bradford 2-1. He said: "It has been a very difficult week but the kids have come through brilliantly. The experienced lads have helped the youngsters along the way and we are all in it together."

Troubled Wimbledon twice went in front at Watford, only to lose 3-2, with Alan Nielsen hitting the winner with two minutes remaining. The manager, Stuart Murdoch, said: "You keep telling players and you hear managers repeating over and over again that you are at your most vulnerable after you have scored," he said.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments