Czech Republic say ‘new players, new staff’ needed with Scotland match set to go ahead following coronavirus outbreak

Czech FA said Nations League fixture was cancelled, before Uefa insisted the tie would go ahead on Monday as planned

Alex Pattle
Saturday 05 September 2020 15:33
comments
Loading...
Close
Portugal Fans Celebrate Inaugural Nations League Win

The Czech FA has said its national side will need “new players and staff members” if they are to host Scotland in the Nations League next week following a coronavirus outbreak in their own squad.

The organisation announced that the Czech Republic would no longer face Scotland on Monday after West Ham midfielder Tomas Soucek and RB Leipzig striker Patrik Schick were ordered to self-isolate due to contact with a member of backroom staff who had tested positive for Covid-19.

Soucek and Schick were given the order ahead of the Czech Republic’s 3-1 win over Slovakia on Friday evening, the same night that Scotland opened their Nations League campaign with a 1-1 draw at home against Israel.

But Uefa later said the game would in fact go ahead, having previously clarified its principles for situations in which coronavirus impacts fixtures.

Per Uefa, a game will take place as long as a team has at least 13 players available – including a goalkeeper.

In response to this, the Czech FA released a statement, saying:  “Monday's Nations League match between the Czech Republic and Scotland will go ahead as planned after negotiations between the Czech FA and Uefa representatives.

“Czech team will consist [of] new players and staff members.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments