Boris Johnson calls European Super League 'a cartel'

Man City withdraw from European Super League

Club are the first to formally announce that they will back out of the breakaway tournament

Alex Pattle
Tuesday 20 April 2021 21:34
comments

Manchester City have become the first club to withdraw from the European Super League.

The Premier League side released a statement on Tuesday evening after reports emerged that they were set to back out of the planned breakaway competition.

“Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League,” an official statement read.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin immediately welcomed the move.

“I am delighted to welcome City back to the European football family,” he said in a statement.

“They have shown great intelligence in listening to the many voices – most notably their fans – that have spelled out the vital benefits that the current system has for the whole of European football; from the world beating Champions League final right down to a young player’s first coaching session at a grassroots club.

“As I said at the Uefa Congress, it takes courage to admit a mistake but I have never doubted that they had the ability and common sense to make that decision. City are a real asset for the game and I am delighted to be working with them for a better future for the European game.”

Following fan protests outside Stamford Bridge ahead of Chelsea’s Premier League clash with Brighton, The Independent understands that the Blues are also preparing to back out of The Super League.

City coach Pep Guardiola spoke out against The Super League earlier on Tuesday, saying in a press conference: “Sport is not a sport when the relationship between effort and success does not exist.

“It is not a sport if you can’t lose. It’s not fair if a team fights to get to the top and success is only guaranteed for some clubs.”

On Tuesday evening, City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne took to Twitter to express his opposition to the competition.

“With all events that [have] been happening the last few days maybe this is the good moment for everybody to come together and try [to] work for a solution,” the Belgium international wrote.

News surfaced around plans for the breakaway tournament on Sunday, with widespread criticism immediately following from supporters, pundits, players and clubs around the world.

The plans involved 12 of the biggest sides in Europe taking part, including Man City, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal from the Premier League, La Liga clubs Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona, and Serie sides Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments